From: <frebe73_at_gmail.com>
Date: 13 Jun 2006 04:12:48 -0700

>> I've worked with code where the SQL was "encapsulated" in a seperate
>> area. It was PAIN in the Arse.
>
> I've worked with code where the SQL was embedded throughout. That's a
> pain in the ass too. The code constantly oscilates between three
> different languages. (SQL, Tables-rows, code).

The same thing can be said about modern web development, the code oscilates between HTML, JavaScript and server-side scripting language. I think we need different languages for different purposes mixed together JSP/ASP/PHP and SQLJ are fine examples of that.

> One system I worked on completely melted down when the DB vendor went
> out of business. There was no way to find and replace all that SQL
> (though we tried for 6 months).

But a decoupled strategy would not descrease the number of SQL statements, you just put the statements in a separate layer, or? The amount of work for modifying the SQL statements would be the same.

Fredrik Bertilsson
http://moonbird.sourceforge.net Received on Tue Jun 13 2006 - 06:12:48 CDT