From: phlip <phlip2005_at_gEEEmail.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 18:52:31 GMT

frebe73 wrote:

> You don't change the name of a column by the same reason why you don't
> change a method name in an interface.

I change them each time their ... behavior ... migrates to something else.

Do you fear change?

> What is the benefits with changing a
> column name?

Sometimes I make mistakes, and give something a name that's less than ideal. So I want to fix my mistake. Even if the name is in a database.

Maybe mistakes with databases are harder to fix than other mistakes.

> If you really need to change column (or table) names, I
> suggest the use of constants while building your SQL statements,

What if I get the constant's name wrong too?

(The secret word here is "view", guys...)

> or a
> framework (such as butler.sourceforge.net) that allows you to change names
> at any time.

Or maybe a lite application-specific framework.

> Or just go to the Edit menu and choose Search/Replace.

Searching and replacing live code is beyond tacky.

--
  Phlip