From: Marshall <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com>
Date: 31 May 2006 23:36:38 -0700

Bruno Desthuilliers wrote:
> frebe73_at_gmail.com a écrit :
>
> I'm afraid your confusing OO (ie: *object* oriented) with
> "class-oriented" (like in Java). In a "true OO language", *everything*
> is an object. So functions are objects too. So functions are first-order.

Java is object oriented by any reasonable definition of the term.

Your claim about "*everything* is an object" and therefore in an OOPL, functions must be objects, is not valid. It is not the case that *everything* in an OOPL is an object. Is a comment an object? Is private or public an object? Is a field an object? No.

OOPLs have methods. There is no requirement to have functions be objects to qualify an as OOPL.

Marshall Received on Thu Jun 01 2006 - 08:36:38 CEST

Original text of this message