Re: Programming is the Engineering Discipline of the Science that is Mathematics

From: x <x_at_not-exists.org>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2006 10:00:16 +0300

"Marshall" <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com> wrote in message news:1149566505.233718.323040_at_u72g2000cwu.googlegroups.com...
> Rich Ryan wrote:
> >
> > I think you need another glass of wine.

> Well, see, the thing about that is, when I take a glass of wine
> I can't do *any* math. I can't do any programming either.

> It's not like I don't drink. But if I'm planning on doing any
> programming I stay dry.

Fax machines watch out!

One day I tryed to find the bug in a program and couldn't find it for hours. After a glass of alcohol, the brownian motion accelerated and I instantly found the error. It was right under my nose. A glass of alcohol might be just what you need to get out of a loop. :-)

One interesting error I once encountered was in a numerical program due to too much copy/paste. The program produced correct answers but too slow. The error was just one character that needed to be changed from + to - :-)

Other interesting error was due to a far call with near return (or something like that). The program entered in an infinite loop because returned to a place above a call to the same rutine. The program was written in Pascal and used no pointers. :-) Received on Tue Jun 06 2006 - 02:00:16 CDT