Re: data management

From: x <x_at_not-exists.org>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2006 09:40:54 +0300

"David Cressey" <dcressey_at_verizon.net> wrote in message news:oMYgg.2120$LN1.1721_at_trndny01...

> I think you're changing the subject. I suggested that supporting searches
> was a reason (perhaps THE reason) for building a database. You seem to be
> addressing the reason for building a DBMS. It isn't the same.

Of what searches are we talking about ?
Searches in the database for *finding* data one needs ? When you talk about databases, you include files in a file cabinet ? I thought that indices were made for supporting searches.

> BTW, enabling searches to find something is one way of supporting
searches.
> In fact, searches that don't find anything can only be said to be
productive
> if the fact that they didn't find anything carries some element of
> unexpectedness.

> This could bring us back to the curious incident of the dog in the night.

(silence) Received on Tue Jun 06 2006 - 08:40:54 CEST

Original text of this message