Re: (repost) cdt glossary 0.1.1

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca>
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2006 01:48:45 GMT

paul c wrote:

> Bob Badour wrote:
>

>> paul c wrote:

>> [snip]

>>> Okay, don't want to risk a premature definition but here's a stab at
>>> an analogy/comparison for "persistence", a word that gets under my
>>> skin most of the time I see it used here:
>>>
>>> If nothing changes but the time of day, what was true yesterday is
>>> still true today.
>>>
>>> I may be wrong to see it this way, but this is why I don't associate
>>> the acronym "rdms" with persistence, necessarily.
>>
>> I don't really know who created this glossary or who contributed what.
>> However, I note that we already have a recognized standard for the
>> bulk of the terms we use, ISO/IEC 2382 Standard Vocabularies for
>> Information Technology, and I note that some of the most fundamental
>> definitions of our field in this glossary are just plain wrong. One
>> might think a self-aggrandizing ignorant like Dawn wrote them. And I
>> suppose it should come as no surprise the maintainer has proved he
>> lacks intellectual honesty.
>
> i'll stick my neck out and say that committee definitions are usually crap.

Committee or no, the ISO/IEC vocabularies are very good, reflect well what educated people mean when they use various terms, and are very illuminating.

Creating a misleading and incorrect glossary through the volunteer contributions of vociferous ignorami is counter-productive and just plain dumb. Received on Mon Jun 05 2006 - 03:48:45 CEST

Original text of this message