From: Sasa <sasa555_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 03 Jun 2006 10:40:32 +0200

Bob Badour wrote:
> If you didn't understand it the first time, I doubt you will the second,
> third or fourth time. I will point out that nowhere did I suggest a

Now I think, that was a bit tendentious, wouldn't you say?

> layer specifically to isolate the dbms is a cohesive unit. Neither have
> you or anyone else established the same.

I don't know about other, but I haven't said that (or at least didn't mean to say that).

If dbms is a cohesive unit (with which you agree), then the isolation layer is rather an interface to that cohesive unit which shield the client from the implementation details of that cohesive unit.

More specifically - i don't want to "select ... from Orders inner join OrderItems on ... " Rather, I want to get the collection of order objects.

The first statement to me is implementational, the second intentional. If the client works only with intentional statements, the implementation is successfully hidden and can be switched if required.

I don't use this strategy only for DBMS, but for any cohesive independent component of the system.
Most notably, whenever I use facilities of some other language/system (i.e. other than apps main language/system), I will try to isolate this via expressive interface which reflects client's needs rather than server's specifics. Do you hold this to be a bad strategy?

Sasa Received on Sat Jun 03 2006 - 10:40:32 CEST

Original text of this message