Re: Multiplicity, Change and MV

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 02:43:01 GMT

Marshall Spight wrote:

> Bob Badour wrote:
>

>>Data management and application development are different functions.

> Typically, but not always. If one is speaking of an
> application-specific
> embedded database, it doesn't make sense to separate the two
> functions.

Even in that case, you will find there are multiple applications with disparate requirements. For instance, I worked on a payroll application with an embedded database. It had the following applications: personnel data entry, pay data entry (hours worked, vacation etc.), audit reporting, historical reporting, bank "ach" integration for direct deposits among others.

Even in the rare case where a single application uses an embedded database, it makes sense to separate data management from application development to leverage the power of the dbms. Envision the analogy of a team of workers using shovels to fill the bucket of a backhoe to fill a dump truck. The method works, but it wastes much of the potential of the backhoe.

> The tools we have today don't lend themselves to this style of
> thinking;
> however better integration between our application languages and
> our data management languages and libraries would make this
> sort of approach more feasible.

I would like better integration between application languages and data management languages as a means of improving our application languages. Let's empower application programmers to operate closer to the level of intent.

> Many applications in the business world are "enterprise" applications
> and involve the integration of disparate systems, but some applications
> tend towards being monolithic--Photoshop for example.

I don't use photoshop. Is it something like paintshop pro or the gimp? Or is it more like adobe illustrator? (Not that it matters for the example.)

Let's assume it's like the gimp. It has to have image acquisition applications, image manipulation tools, image transformations, file format converters, printing applications, plug-in integration, standard plug-ins, a scripting language and probably other applications I have not yet considered. Received on Fri Apr 21 2006 - 04:43:01 CEST

Original text of this message