Re: Database design

From: Alexandr Savinov <spam_at_conceptoriented.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 10:49:12 +0100

Mark Johnson schrieb:
> Alexandr Savinov <spam_at_conceptoriented.com> wrote:
>

>> JOG schrieb:

>>> A tuple does not equate to an entity, in fact far from it.

>> So what is then an entity?

> As I understood it, the entity is each row in a relation, each entity
> consisting of various attributes, which alternately are termed,
> tuples. And each entity is supposed to be of 'like kind'.
> Unfortunately, based on previous messages, no one really seems to know
> what that is, or whether such 'like kinds' are even important.

Is it really necessary for an entity to be inside a relation?

The question is actually deeper than it seems to be. It can be reformulated in more general form as follows: can things live in isolation outside an environment? If yes, then entities probably do not need your constraint. I would prefer a variant where entities do not need an environment (a relation) and can exist in isolation because it is simpler. However, I cannot believe that it is possible because I have never seen entities in isolation and hence I think it does not make sense.

--
http://conceptoriented.com