Re: Database design

From: Alexandr Savinov <spam_at_conceptoriented.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 10:25:01 +0100

JOG schrieb:
> Alexandr Savinov wrote:

>> JOG schrieb:

>>> A tuple does not equate to an entity, in fact far from it.
>> So what is then an entity?
>>

> Please Google entity-relationship for how the term is commonly used in
> this sort of field. Surely its obvious there is no one to one
> correspondence between a tuple and an entity due to 1NF normalization,
> if for no other reason.

I am afraid that both terms (entity and tuple) have wider scope than entity-relational model and normal forms. And this is precisely why it is interestingly to compare them. In particular, (if you insist that they are different things) why entity is NOT a tuple and vice versa why tuple is NOT an entity? Of course, we might add to this comparison list some other terms like object, row, record etc. But since we cannot even formulate the difference between the above two terms I think adding more complexity does not make sense. Another problem is that you cannot define terms indefinitely - you must stop somewhere. So it is not a solution. Such terms as the above two are precisely a kind of such terms that are very difficult to define. We can only characterize them in great extent informally.

> This whole 'flat' debate is nonsense too. Write a database down in its
> mathematical form, devoid of tables, and tell me how on earth it can be
> flat (which semantically means two-dimensional of course), deep, fat,
> thin, whatever. If you mean it doesn't support composite types say
> that. If you mean it contains no explicit links, say that. Calling it
> flat is semantically redundant and doesn't aid any real discussion.

I have seen at least two definitions of the term "flat" in this discussion:

It is an answer on your question "how on earth it can be flat".

You can also define a structure as deep. For example, if it is equivalent to a hierarchical space. It is also not excluded that some other term could be helpful such as fat, thin etc. Notice that these terms are far from the most exotic ones in science. (Fuzziness and roughness of sets, charmness of quarks etc.)

--
http://conceptoriented.com