Re: The MySQL/PHP pair

From: Bill H <wphaskett_at_THISISMUNGEDatt.net>
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2004 18:58:04 GMT

Laconic:

"Laconic2" <laconic2_at_comcast.net> wrote in message news:KcudnYlLt7cv7xHcRVn-ig_at_comcast.com...

[snipped]

> This situation is not like that. I'm not about to try to replicate Dawn's
> experience over the last fifteen odd years, and neither are you, I
suspect.

> So all we have to offer are our experiences, which do not map well into
> hers. And all we have to offer in the way of theory is a theory that her
> experience tells her is deeply flawed, and that your experience and mine
> tell us is highly productive at a practical level.

I've noted my experiences are similar to Dawns, in that I work from a business perspective and not from a database perspective. This perspective has managed to provide wide-ranging experiences, through the years, with computing.

The very concept that I should have one person doing database management, another on networking, another on user interfaces, and still another defining business rules indicates a large cost structure. But that's just my perspective because I keep paying for all this.

It's always easy to theorize about why Dawn "doesn't get it". For those of us who pay the bills, or don't go on vacation this year because they're throwning cash down an IT "let's try this technology" drain, I find she "gets it" a lot more clearly than some are willing to give her credit for.

Just IMHO of course. :-)

Bill Received on Sat Nov 06 2004 - 19:58:04 CET

Original text of this message