Re: The MySQL/PHP pair

From: Laconic2 <laconic2_at_comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2004 01:43:57 -0500

"Dan" <guntermann_at_verizon.com> wrote in message news:R5Vid.336$6t.246_at_trnddc05...

> Hey, I think reasonable people can have reasonable conversations and a
> reasonable exchange of ideas. The "innocent" questions line grows a
little
> old after a while, though, especially after the "innocence" is recycled
over
> and over again. I don't claim to own this newsgroup, so I will leave it
> the rest of you to determine what you find of value.
>
> Dawn's "concerns" haven't changed much in the last year. She hasn't
> modified her position or her assertions at all as far as I can tell, even
in
> the face of some very well articulated arguments (not mine), many of which
> of nothing really to do relational theory or a particular design
> methodology, per se. I have given her the benefit of the doubt for a
year.
> Nothing has changed. This is not meant as a personal attack I think Dawn
> is a fine human being and she writes interesting things. I just feel no
> closer to "the truth" after reviewing exchanges. This is rather
> unsatisfying.

On this point I think I have to agree with you. Basically, Dawn for the last year (at least) has been on a quest to find a theoretical base that would explain what she observed in her experience, in leading teams that used products like Oracle, and in leading at least one team that used Pick.

The thing is that her experience is not replicable at will. If you wanted to talk with Galileo about the theory of how heavy and light cannonballs fall, the first thing you could do is carry two cannonballs of different weight up to the top of a tower and drop them. If your experience replicated his, now you have something to talk about. If not, you have something else to talk about.

This situation is not like that. I'm not about to try to replicate Dawn's experience over the last fifteen odd years, and neither are you, I suspect.

So all we have to offer are our experiences, which do not map well into hers. And all we have to offer in the way of theory is a theory that her experience tells her is deeply flawed, and that your experience and mine tell us is highly productive at a practical level. Received on Sat Nov 06 2004 - 07:43:57 CET

Original text of this message