Re: Demo: Things in Hierarchies (w/o RM/SQL)

From: Nick Landsberg <SPAMhukolauTRAP_at_SPAMworldnetTRAP.att.net>
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2004 17:32:20 GMT

Laconic2 wrote:
> "Nick Landsberg" <SPAMhukolauTRAP_at_SPAMworldnetTRAP.att.net> wrote in message
>

>>I wonder, would it help to stem the tide if the
>>more experienced practitioners here would just posit
>>a real-world problem to be solved (rather than cats and dogs,
>>parent-child, etc.)  Given an interesting enough problem,
>>that may take quite a while to address, if it can be addressed
>>at all with Neo's stuff.
>>
>>OLTP with 1000 TPS requirement?
>>DataWarehousing with lots of summary reports,
>>each different... maybe 80 per day,

> My suggestion:
>
> An airline reservation system covering about 45 airlines, about 100,000
> flights per day, about 10,000,000 passengers,
> credit cards, airplanes, seating capacity in several classes, and about
> 10,000 fare changes a day. 200 simultaneous users on the web.

Pretty real-world, I would say, Laconic2. Though it's probably at 5-sigma from the size of system which people normally consider.

I didn't think of something like this because my experiences lie elsewhere (each of us has this set of blinders on), but I have some details to add (just because there are always details to add!) -

As a frequent traveller (or someone who used to be a frequent traveller), some added side issues:

  • "Preferred seating" for people enrolled in a particular company's frequent flyer program.
  • Code-shared flights. (CO 451 is the same as NW 1725)

(Third order effect - do you get preferred seating if you book NW 1725 but are a CO frequent flyer?)

 From the perspective of analysis and reports, tho, let's add the requirements:

"The data shall also be available for analysis and trending. This analysis and trending may include, but not be limited to, reports by carrier, by endpoints, by day of week, by month of year, by fare, by method of reservation (e.g. travel agent vs. web), or any combination of the above. Analysis and trending reports shall be run on a daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual basis. Data retention shall be for a period of not less than 3 years."

"Execution of analysis and trending reports shall not impact the response time of the on-line transactions."

Note: I put the quotes in the above, because they are indicative of the (better) requirements I have seen for some of the reporting-type systems I have worked on. Usually they say: "Reports shall be made available. The reports will be defined after the choice of vendor has been made."

NPL P.S. - I think your estimate of only 200 simultaneous web users may be low, but have no logical basis for that opinion, just "gut feel."

PPS. - (To Gene Wirchenko) - Should I have waited to post the above until we wanted to change the requirements in mid-stream?

--
"It is impossible to make anything foolproof
because fools are so ingenious"