Re: The MySQL/PHP pair

From: Bill H <wphaskett_at_THISISMUNGEDatt.net>
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2004 17:29:51 GMT

Kenneth:

"Kenneth Downs" <firstinit.lastname_at_lastnameplusfam.net> wrote in message news:069bmc.sb3.ln_at_192.168.10.210...

[snipped]

> We are pretty much on the same page on all points except one. The
> specification of automated columns must not contain code, they must be

> scalar. The two working points to define scalar (or atomic) in this
> context are:
>
> 1. Must not require evaluation according to the rules of any programming
> language.
>
> 2. Must not require parsing by the engine built to use it.
>
> So if you have some automatic view builder working with a data dictionary,
> the formula for Extended_Price cannot be the expression "price * qty", it
> must be the scalar values "MULT","PRICE","QTY" with the assumption that
all
> columns are in the same table. In the same vein, an aggregate for an
order
> total might be "SUM","ORDER_LINES","LINE_FINAL_AMT".

Can I assume you're distinguishing between a telephone number without format requirements and one with? Would you say that dbms filtered data doesn't count as a limitation here, since it is not the presentation layer nor evaluated by code.

Bill Received on Sat Nov 06 2004 - 18:29:51 CET

Original text of this message