The MySQL/PHP pair

From: Kenneth Downs <firstinit.lastname_at_lastnameplusfam.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 09:04:02 -0400

Seems a lot of us here fall into the "the-database-is-the-app" camp, wishing to see the database know completely how to defend itself as it were against any bad data. Typical tools involve triggers, constraints and so forth.

For this reason it seems MySQL is regularly dismissed because it cannot defend itself. It is not a *real* DBMS.

But you know, it seems that there is a large group of people out there developing against MySQL with PHP. The logic seems to be that you need a barrier beyond which bad data cannot go, but when the app is deployed through the web, then that barrier is the web layer. If no user can possibly SQL in, then the overpowering lure of PHP/MySQL leads to the conclusion that biz logic can just go into the PHP and you get pretty fast to the Look Ma, It Works! stage.

I just wonder if we have been unfair to MySQL.

--
Kenneth Downs
Use first initial plus last name at last name plus literal "fam.net" to