Re: The MySQL/PHP pair

From: Laconic2 <laconic2_at_comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2004 08:51:00 -0400

> > But you know, it seems that there is a large group of people out there
> > developing against MySQL with PHP.
>
> Sure. If you've got a little small scale app with 1-3 developers,
> only one way into or out of the data (via the app), this will
> work fine. It won't scale up from there, though.

In about three years, there should be a great need for scaling up on the part of
people who started out with PHP/MySQL and have hit the wall. Now they've discovered Spight's Law. This need might even develop into a market.

A market is a need and the ability and willingness to pay to have that need met. If the second criterion is not met, then will have a situation like the home computer. Most home computer owners really, really want someone to make their home computer work right, as soon they find someone who will do it for free. So the upscalers are equally cheap, they will will try to get it done for nothing. Only if they will pay, will they make a market.

The problem that will keep me out of that market is that, by that time, those people will have such an investment in PHP code that they will be unwilling to start over again with analysis and design. They will want a database retrofit into their existing process. I'd rather be retired, thank you. Received on Sat Oct 30 2004 - 14:51:00 CEST

Original text of this message