Re: The IDS, the EDS and the DBMS

From: mAsterdam <mAsterdam_at_vrijdag.org>
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2004 23:58:57 +0200

Laconic2 wrote:

> mAsterdam wrote:
>

>>There is some sharing going on here.
>>So, let's differentiate.
>>
>>Persistence is sharing data between multiple subsequent
>>instances of the same program.
>>Concurrency control and shared access solve the
>>problems of sharing data between multiple simultane
>>instances of the same program.
>>Metadata comes into play when data is shared between
>>really different programs. *Really* different as in not
>>sharing the same code.

> Agreed.
>
> I might want to rephrase "the same program" as "objects of the same class".
> But I'm not sure of this.

I wasn't when trying to formulate this.
In this case "objects of the same class" opens up a can of irrelevant watchameanbyzats, so I settled for "program".

I'll abuse this to introduce one thing as if I had thought of it originally (well I did, honestly, but I forgot to write it down): shared access is (possibly) sharing from different locations.

Somebody now may wrap this up into a nice article about levels of data sharing, prerequisites and implications :-)

  > Technical department of client is trying to get more bang for the buck.
> Marketing department of Vendor organization is trying to get more bucks for
> the bang.
>
> How well do you think they are going to collaborate?

When you're not part of the solution, there is a lot of money to be made in postponing it. Received on Mon Sep 06 2004 - 23:58:57 CEST

Original text of this message