Re: The IDS, the EDS and the DBMS

From: Laconic2 <laconic2_at_comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2004 07:59:52 -0400

"mAsterdam" <mAsterdam_at_vrijdag.org> wrote in message news:413ad842$0$42417$e4fe514c_at_news.xs4all.nl...
> There is some sharing going on here.
> So, let's differentiate.
>
> Persistence is sharing data between multiple subsequent
> instances of the same program.
> Concurrency control and shared access solve the
> problems of sharing data between multiple simultane
> instances of the same program.
> Metadata comes into play when data is shared between
> really different programs. *Really* different as in not
> sharing the same code.

Agreed.

I might want to rephrase "the same program" as "objects of the same class". But I'm not sure of this.

> The last type of sharing would not be supported
> by the PEDMS, right?

Agreed.

It saves overhead. It saves cost. It saves engineering effort.

But, most important for me, it makes it clear that there is no shareable data inside. Want to share this data?
There is only one feasable way: talk to an object of the appropriate class. That would set expectations right.

> > an organization thinks with more than one brain. The applications
> > programmers know the database is merely serving up CRUD, but the IT
manager
> > thinks, RDBMS+SQL+Crystal Reports=Business Information.
>
> Very recognizable, this.

There's another case: organization buys a closed app that contains a sql server DB. Organization realizes that they want to do dozens of different things with the data in the DB, thus getting more bang for the buck. The vendor's salesman says all they
have to do is wait 9 months and pay lots of $$, and they can upgrade to the next release, which has most of what they want.

Technical department of client is trying to get more bang for the buck. Marketing department of Vendor organization is trying to get more bucks for the bang.

How well do you think they are going to collaborate? Received on Sun Sep 05 2004 - 13:59:52 CEST

Original text of this message