Re: The IDS, the EDS and the DBMS

From: Laconic2 <laconic2_at_comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2004 08:46:28 -0400

"mAsterdam" <mAsterdam_at_vrijdag.org> wrote in message news:4139e02c$0$78749$e4fe514c_at_news.xs4all.nl...
> One serious integration issue was overlooked.
> When the first in-air tests began, the airplane
> would not fly steadily. Why?

Are you sure of this? There is a lot of false history of early flight development recounted in IT publications.

It turns out that the Wright brother's approach was one of the most methodical, segmented but integrated, engineering projects of all time. I can't speak for the other developers.

Case in point: on the day when they accomplished what we call the first flight at Kitty Hawk in 1903, they had a part of their flyer disabled: the part that enabled them to make banked turns. Why was it disabled? Because the purpose of that day's flight was to test a new propellor, not to make history.

> > Doesn't EDI intend to accomplish this goal?
>
> I don't think so. EDI is meant for bilateral or
> multilateral interbusiness communication. The
> only integrity concern in EDI is the integrity
> of one link or chain. EDI is not trying to make
> a whole business chain look as if it is one
> supplier or customer.

I have a long digression on "bilateral" and "multilateral" links or agreements. I'll start a new discussion.

I'll just mention the highlights. history repeats itself.

There was a time between the sales of the first telephones and the invention of the switchboard when the only way to connect 17 telephones in a town was to string 17*16/2 lines between them. It didn't take long to realize that this was impractical.
So the "HUB" was invented.

The people who build airports also invented the HUB.

The WTO is a hub for international trade, replacing many bilateral trade agreements. One could think of NAFTA and EU as multiple hubs. That's another story.

Going back to the case of telephones, there was a time in the 1950s when nearly every town's switchboard was automated (in the US), but trunk lines between towns were managed by people called "long distance operators", managing switchboards.
Then came direct distance dialling.

Anyway, history repeats itself. Whenever people want to share information in an environment wich is partly collaborative and partly competitive, they usually invent the same network topologies, and in the same order. Received on Sun Sep 05 2004 - 14:46:28 CEST

Original text of this message