Re: The IDS, the EDS and the DBMS

From: Marshall Spight <mspight_at_dnai.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2004 21:39:04 GMT

"Lauri Pietarinen" <lauri.pietarinen_at_atbusiness.com> wrote in message news:e9d83568.0409061256.5c59df3f_at_posting.google.com...
> [...]

Nice post!

> I think one of the most outstanding features of SQL-DBMS'es (and
> naturally RDBMS'es) is the concept of view merging.

Yes, that's awesome.

> Needles to say, view materialisation
> will in most cases kill performance, so
> it is no wonder that one sometimes hears
> statements such as the one above.

My suspicion is that view materialization only makes sense in the context of precomputing aggregations. In other contexts, the right thing to do would be better indexes and/or different table implementation. But there's not much that can compete with computing the answer ahead of time (which is what materialization is.)

> Dunno much about algebra, but from what
> I have understood, a more orthogonal,
> RM-obiding language than SQL would give
> the implementors an easier go at optimizing
> views (and other relational expressions).

I agree; it's just got to be easier.

> This view merging feature is something
> that is next to impossible in a procedural context.

For sure!

Marshall Received on Mon Sep 06 2004 - 23:39:04 CEST

Original text of this message