Re: Speak Your Truth

From: Laconic2 <laconic2_at_comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2004 16:02:30 -0400

> > "mAsterdam" <mAsterdam_at_vrijdag.org> wrote in message
> > >
> > > No! "*my* view" (emphasis mine).
> > > One of the (your) purposes of talking EDS vs IDS was to get
> > > the discussion out of this them vs. us tone, right?
> >
> > I need to clarify something here. When I used the phrase "my view", I
did
> > NOT mean "My opinion about what the correct view is".
>
> While there is a danger in becoming overly convinced of one's own
> opinions, there is another danger in the opposite direction: becoming
> overly weak about holding one's own opinions.
>
> In fact, even the phrase "in my opinion" serves no real purpose.
> Everything everyone says everywhere is their opinion. That is,
> they are describing the truth as best they understand it. (Unless
> they are explicitly hypothesizing.) Any leading "I think that..." can
> be omitted, because it is redundant.
>
> The best thing for a debate is when all participants speak
> the truth as they understand it.
>
> As an exercise, read the version of this post below the
> signature, and tell me if it is any better than the actual
> post.
>

> Marshall
> -----
>
> While there is a danger in becoming over convinced of one's own
> opinions, it seems to me there is another danger in the opposite
> direction: becoming overly weak about holding one's own opinions.
>
> In my opinion, even the phrase "in my opinion" serves no real purpose.
> I believe that everything everyone says everywhere is their opinion.
> It seems to me they are describing the truth as best they understand it.
> (Unless perhaps they are explicitly hypothesizing.) I think that
> any leading "I think that..." can be omitted, because it is redundant.
>
> I believe the best thing for a debate is when all participants speak
> the truth as they understand it.

You may well be right. I'll pay attention for a while, and see which communicates better.

There are a few truths that I hold to be absolute, and not subject to debate with anyone. But they are very few.

Everything I claim to know about IT is based on a very tiny sample of what there is to know. Received on Mon Sep 06 2004 - 22:02:30 CEST

Original text of this message