Re: The IDS, the EDS and the DBMS

From: Marshall Spight <mspight_at_dnai.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2004 19:22:55 GMT

"Alfredo Novoa" <alfredo_at_ncs.es> wrote in message news:e4330f45.0409060848.62fa652b_at_posting.google.com...
> "Marshall Spight" <mspight_at_dnai.com> wrote in message news:<u9H_c.134170$mD.74430@attbi_s02>...
> > >
> > > Tutorial D has type inference and parametric polymorphism.
> >
> > But only for relations, yes?
>
> No, you can overload and override the scalar operators and to check
> the types of the scalar values.

I'm not sure if we're using the same terminology. Ordinarily I would consider overriding to be indicitive of subtyping polymorphism, not parametric polymorphism.

Would you care to point me at a particular section of TTM? I've read it a few times but that doesn't mean I understood or even remember everything.

> IMO partial evaluation is more an implementation issue than a language
> design issue.

Hmmm. Interesting viewpoint.

Marshall Received on Mon Sep 06 2004 - 21:22:55 CEST

Original text of this message