Re: The IDS, the EDS and the DBMS

From: Laconic2 <laconic2_at_comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2004 12:38:44 -0400

"mAsterdam" <mAsterdam_at_vrijdag.org> wrote in message news:4139e02c$0$78749$e4fe514c_at_news.xs4all.nl...

> I would appreciate it if you would be more
> specific as to what techniques you are
> referring to - it may shed some light in this
> unnecessarily dark area.

I'll think about this. My own thinking may be unnecessarily sloppy in this area. Meanwhile, perhaps others may shed some light where I cannot.

> >>... The unit of integrity is the database.
> > Yes. In other words, in my view, the application is one great
>
> No! "*my* view" (emphasis mine).
> One of the (your) purposes of talking EDS vs IDS was to get
> the discussion out of this them vs. us tone, right?

Good point. I'm starting from my view, but I'm hoping that civil discussion can broaden that view to
include a more inclusive perspective.

I'd rather admit my biases than pretend they don't exist. But the goal is to produce an objective view of the whole matter.

> > It's hacking into information that was not written to be shared.
>
> This is a very important observation, IMHO.
> It looks like it is shared data (because of the
> tools used) but it's not.

Yes. In particular, wouldn't it be great is there were a tool called a PEDMS (persistent encapsulated data management system) that would be a DIFFERENT TOOL than a DBMS? Maybe it wouldn't even need an SQL port or a built in data dictionary. Should be lots cheaper than a DBMS. Received on Sat Sep 04 2004 - 18:38:44 CEST

Original text of this message