Re: The IDS, the EDS and the DBMS

From: mAsterdam <mAsterdam_at_vrijdag.org>
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 2004 22:54:32 +0200

Laconic2 wrote:
> mAsterdam wrote:

L:>

>>>It's hacking into information that was not written to be shared.
>>
>>This is a very important observation, IMHO.
>>It looks like it is shared data (because of the
>>tools used) but it's not.

> Yes. In particular, wouldn't it be great is there were a tool called a
> PEDMS (persistent encapsulated data management system) that would be a
> DIFFERENT TOOL than a DBMS? Maybe it wouldn't even need an SQL port or a
> built in data dictionary. Should be lots cheaper than a DBMS.

If the sharing requirement is really dropped, any filesystem will do, no?

In my experience many misunderstandings rise from the wrong expectation that by simply using a RDBMS as a persistence-provider (yes, "CRUD-service") by some magic the stored data instantly becomes shareable. Received on Sat Sep 04 2004 - 22:54:32 CEST

Original text of this message