Re: converting access db to mysql

From: chicha <mario_at_blindsight.org>
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 2004 20:23:06 +0200

Thanks guys for your replies!

I see now I phrased my post in a completely wrong way.

First of all, what I'm trying to do here is to get some guidance and friendly advice to get me started. I HAVE to do this project, I was told to. For any of you who read somewhere between my lines "please could somebody do this for free instead of me??", I just must stress that that was NOT my idea for this post. There are easier and more reliable ways to cheat at faculty then using newsgroups...

I'm new with db's but not with PC's. What I should have written is that I got the database made in Access 2000 (.MDB) which doesn't work with Access 2003. I know this is wrong, and that it should work, but it doesn't. I spoke with the author/professor assistant who obviously did it using "Databases for dummies" book and he said he's sure it works but has bugs(!!!). He doesn't know what bugs though :). That's why he gave me the whole thing to put it in mysql. When I tried it in 2003, sure as hell, it didn't work, bug or no bug. It opened and loaded, but didn't read relations nor data. It works in A2000 because the whole "office of construction in mech. eng." at my faculty uses it. I'm not gonna tell that guy he did it all wrong, because he knows it. He knows I know it too. Saying it loud would mean my academical suicide. I'll rather use Access 2000 and fix it there.

I mentioned it in the post because I thought someone could offer an advice. My apologies that I haven't explained the situation more thoroughly, I thought it was uneccessary. It would save me from you guys thinking I'm complete idiot or lousy cheat.

Thanks to all of you guys who provided insightfull info and links, I appreciate it. I'll check it out, and see what can be done.

Cheers,

Mario