Re: converting access db to mysql

From: Bernard Peek <bap_at_shrdlu.com>
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 2004 19:42:46 GMT

In message <chd16b$jso$1_at_bagan.srce.hr>, chicha <mario_at_blindsight.org> writes
>Thanks guys for your replies!
>
>I see now I phrased my post in a completely wrong way.
>
>First of all, what I'm trying to do here is to get some guidance and
>friendly advice to get me started. I HAVE to do this project, I was
>told to. For any of you who read somewhere between my lines "please
>could somebody do this for free instead of me??", I just must stress
>that that was NOT my idea for this post. There are easier and more
>reliable ways to cheat at faculty then using newsgroups...

OK. Here's a few things to think about.

First, Access is not just a database system. It includes a forms designer and a report designer, neither of which exist in MySQL. In addition to moving the data from Access to MySQL you will also have to design data-entry forms and reports. You will need to choose additional software to do that.

It is possible to use Access as a front-end with the data stored in a MySQL database. If you do it right you won't need to redesign any of your forms or reports to do that. This is probably what you should aim at as the first step in migration.

MySQL is designed as a client-server system and is usually used with the data stored on a central server and client programs running on users' workstations. You can run both client and server software on the same machine, but you don't have to. If your site has any other MySQL databases in use then you may find that there are already MySQL experts available.

A copy of Access 2003 should open an Access 2000 database file without any problems. If you are having problems with the database file then switching to Access 2000 probably won't fix the problem. Find a machine where the system works. Open up the database file and look at the tables in it. Look for attached tables that use data that is actually stored elsewhere. That might be in another Access database file or perhaps even in a MySQL database on a server elsewhere. If your database uses attached tables then you have to bring a copy of the data source to your new machine in addition to the database file itself. Check this and let us know whether there are any attached tables.

[...]

>I mentioned it in the post because I thought someone could offer an
>advice. My apologies that I haven't explained the situation more
>thoroughly, I thought it was uneccessary. It would save me from you
>guys thinking I'm complete idiot or lousy cheat.

It's pretty difficult to gather all of the information on a system if expert users are standing right in front of you. Trying to do it through a newsgroup is even more difficult.

Speaking of newsgroups, I'm not sure that comp.databases.theory is the right newsgroup for this. You might want to drop that from the crossposting list (unless anyone in that newsgroup wants it to continue.)

--
Bernard Peek