Re: converting access db to mysql

From: Larry Linson <bouncer_at_localhost.not>
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 2004 20:35:32 GMT

"chicha" wrote

> When I tried it in 2003, sure as hell, it didn't
> work, bug or no bug. It opened and loaded,
> but didn't read relations nor data. It works in
> A2000 because the whole "office of con-
> struction in mech. eng." at my faculty uses it.

That seems to indicate that the TableDefs in the database you are trying to work with are simply links to tables in another "back-end" Access database. You are assuming a cause when you haven't even identified what the problem is.

If the "whole office of..." are all working with the same tables, that is almost certainly the way it would have been set up. Almost certainly, it has not a thing to do with whether you are using Access 2000, 2002, or 2003 to work with it.

If the computer where you are trying Access 2003 is not connected on the same LAN as the "whole office of..." then you are unlikely to be able to fix that, unless you find and copy the shared tables to the machine/environment where you are working. If you do that, or if your Access 2003 computer is on the same LAN, then you may be able to fix the problem as simply as finding the shared tables and using the Linked Table Manager (on the menu, Tools | Database Utilities | Linked Table Manager) to relink the TableDefs to the proper backend database.

Did I sufficiently emphasize the key here is "FIND THE SHARED TABLES AND LINK THEM"? I strongly urge you do that before you waste any more of your time and effort on worrying about Access 2000. If, however, you try to do it in Access 2000, on a machine that is in the same LAN as the "whole office of ..." and it _does_ work, you cannot assume that it worked just because you used Access 2000 (see above).

As many have told you, you can convert the data -- BUT you first have to HAVE the data, which you do not seem to have. Other than just hipshooting a possible (probably not a workable) solution, I don't see any good reason to convert even the data to MySQL.

Should I emphasize again, the key is "FIND THE SHARED TABLES"?

But certainly, you can convert nothing BUT the data to MySQL, because it is a server database and has no support for any of the other features (to wit, the user interface) of Access.

   Larry Linson
   Microsoft Access MVP Received on Sat Sep 04 2004 - 22:35:32 CEST

Original text of this message