Re: Ah, but who has better parties?

From: Tony Douglas <tonyisyourpal_at_netscape.net>
Date: 13 May 2004 17:38:13 -0700

"mountain man" <hobbit_at_southern_seaweed.com.op> wrote in message news:<l3Moc.36609$TT.29378_at_news-server.bigpond.net.au>...

<snip>

> You may as well, because neither party, unless they take on board
> both the database theory and the (database + application) theory,
> [which is the missing element from Date et al] will ever present a
> complete, consistent and maximally efficient account of that business.

I'm intrigued now. If we accept the position that logic is embedded in the database server, by dint of proper constraint management and a proper implementation of domains, how much is actually left for the application side of things to do, beyond presentation ? Presumably collection of parameters and issuing an appropriate database update statement ?

> Businesses require education.
> So do the so-called academics.

Now this is interesting. I've recently opted to give up on my SIGMOD membership because of the lack of debate on core issues - that is, when is anyone actually going to take implementing the relational model seriously, rather than paying lip service to it ? The "academics" seem to be stuck in an XML fad at the moment.

> Pete Brown
> Falls Creek

> Oz

Cheers !

  • Tony

(At the relational party, but wishing things would, you know, lighten up a bit. All this politics and religion getting bandied about. So far as I know, database theories haven't killed anyone yet.) Received on Fri May 14 2004 - 02:38:13 CEST

Original text of this message