Ah, but who has better parties?

From: Dawn M. Wolthuis <dwolt_at_tincat-group.com>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 19:11:11 -0500

It struck me when reading one of Leondro's responses to mountain man that over the past two years of studying first pick and then relational databases (history, theory, and practice), along with OO and XML, I have gotten a bit of the "flavor" of each sub-culture (just a bit).

I have a hypothesis. Let's just narrow it down to 2 groups -- RELATIONAL and PICK -- and give each the same number of dollars to throw a party for the same number of people. They are to invite only theorists, historians, and practitioners of their particular "religion" (no spouses) PLUS YOU, who are invited to both of them.

I predict that you would like the party best of the group whose database approach you think is best for the business world. So, which party would you prefer?

RELATIONAL: Classy cocktail party. The dress is not casual by any stretch, but there are certainly some more comfortably attired than the few who have decided to wear a full tux or evening gown (because these few like to "put on airs"). People greet those warmly with whom they agree on certain points or approaches and, yes, there is a bit of snubbing of some whose opinons are not well tolerated or whose intelligence is questioned. Everyone is well-behaved, if not stuffy. The Hors d'oeuvres are very close to perfect, very tasty, and incredibly tiny. The pianist at the grand piano does a good job, and when there are just a few people remaining they stand around the piano and sing some old favorites -- in parts, no less.

[My guess -- I enjoyed the party just fine, but noticed some who snubbed me
and was pleased to remove the shoes and stockings when I got home. I made some new contacts.]

PICK: You guessed it -- volleyball on the beach with the beer flowing. Attire is defnitely casual, but no one would care if you showed up in dressier-than-the-norm attire. All are on equal footing at a party and even though there have been rifts between various folks in business settings, that is irrelevant here. Someone suggests that beach volleyball rules apply and there should only be n people per side, but the group overrules them, playing by recreational volleyball "rules". Of course, it's a youngster fresh from college who suggests this, so that person is still treated as the hero they are -- being young and all. As for food, there's enough dollars to provide a full meal for everyone -- your choice of burger, brat, dog, or veggie burger -- cooked on grills with proper condiments and potato salad. An old fashioned camp fire is available for smores for dessert.

[My guess -- I had fun and was very comfortable even though I don't play
volleyball well, but I would have preferred that a few folks hadn't gotten intoxicated. I made some new friends.]

So, maybe instead of resolving who provides the better bang for the buck for businesses, we could just discuss who has the better parties. smiles. --dawn Received on Thu May 13 2004 - 02:11:11 CEST

Original text of this message