Re: State of industry re data sources

From: Dawn M. Wolthuis <dwolt_at_tincat-group.com>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 19:28:04 -0500

"Ken North" <knorth2_at_deletethis.yahoo.com> wrote in message news:c7sp8l$1bp$1_at_ngspool-d02.news.aol.com...
> "Dawn M. Wolthuis" <dwolt_at_tincat-group.com> wrote in message
> >
> > I'm really looking for what is coming next after the rather standardized
> > approach to specifying ODBC data sources, particularly anything that is
> > SQL-independent (just thinking about those true RDBMS's on the
horizon;-).

> > I'm really looking for what is coming next after the rather standardized
> > approach to specifying ODBC data sources, particularly anything that is
> > SQL-independent (just thinking about those true RDBMS's on the
horizon;-).
> > I would think that one service once a data source service is discovered
> > would be to ask the service what API's are available for querying the
data
> > (SQL, as one example).
>
> During the SD2004 conference in March, we discussed this during a panel
> discussion about software trends. The panel included Rick Cattell (author
and
> Distinguished Engineer, Sun Microsystems), Peter Coffee (author and
Technology
> Editor, eWEEK), Daniela Florescu (co-editor of W3C specs and Senior
Software
> Engineer, BEA), Jim Gray (author and Distinguished Engineer, Microsoft
> Research), Jim Kleewein (Distinguished Engineer, IBM Silicon Valley Lab),
and
> Jim Melton (author and Editor of the ISO/IEC SQL standard, Oracle
Corporation).
> The video isn't on the web yet, but you can listen to the audio. The
question
> about the future of data access is about 15 minutes into part 1:

Great - thanks! I have downloaded a video with this group, so I likely just need to finish listening to everything that is audio-only too. I think I had trouble understanding or hearing it, but I'll give it another try.

> "The Marriage of SQL/XML, Web Services and Grid Computing" -- part 1
> http://www.webservicessummit.com/Trends/SoftwareTrends_SD2004.htm
>
> There's also a video and audio interview with Jim Melton about the
SQL:2003
> standard and the next version. It runs about 6 minutes:
> http://www.sqlsummit.com/People/JMelton.htm
>
> From this page, you can follow links to relevant specifications such as
Service
> Data Objects and the Grid Data Service Specification:
> http://www.webservicessummit.com/articles_papers.htm#Web%20Services

I'll take a look. Thanks. --dawn Received on Thu May 13 2004 - 02:28:04 CEST

Original text of this message