Re: State of industry re data sources

From: Ken North <knorth2_at_deletethis.yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 02:05:40 -0700

"Dawn M. Wolthuis" <dwolt_at_tincat-group.com> wrote in message news:c7jbkh$1p3$1_at_news.netins.net...

> I'm really looking for what is coming next after the rather standardized
> approach to specifying ODBC data sources, particularly anything that is
> SQL-independent (just thinking about those true RDBMS's on the horizon;-).

> I'm really looking for what is coming next after the rather standardized
> approach to specifying ODBC data sources, particularly anything that is
> SQL-independent (just thinking about those true RDBMS's on the horizon;-).
> I would think that one service once a data source service is discovered
> would be to ask the service what API's are available for querying the data
> (SQL, as one example).

During the SD2004 conference in March, we discussed this during a panel discussion about software trends. The panel included Rick Cattell (author and Distinguished Engineer, Sun Microsystems), Peter Coffee (author and Technology Editor, eWEEK), Daniela Florescu (co-editor of W3C specs and Senior Software Engineer, BEA), Jim Gray (author and Distinguished Engineer, Microsoft Research), Jim Kleewein (Distinguished Engineer, IBM Silicon Valley Lab), and Jim Melton (author and Editor of the ISO/IEC SQL standard, Oracle Corporation). The video isn't on the web yet, but you can listen to the audio. The question about the future of data access is about 15 minutes into part 1:

"The Marriage of SQL/XML, Web Services and Grid Computing" -- part 1 http://www.webservicessummit.com/Trends/SoftwareTrends_SD2004.htm

There's also a video and audio interview with Jim Melton about the SQL:2003 standard and the next version. It runs about 6 minutes: http://www.sqlsummit.com/People/JMelton.htm

From this page, you can follow links to relevant specifications such as Service Data Objects and the Grid Data Service Specification: http://www.webservicessummit.com/articles_papers.htm#Web%20Services Received on Wed May 12 2004 - 11:05:40 CEST

Original text of this message