Re: Tree (forest) design

From: Mikito Harakiri <mikharakiri_at_iahu.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 16:59:57 -0800

"Robert Stearns" <rstearns1241_at_charter.net> wrote in message news:403E8CA0.1010505_at_charter.net...
> Mikito Harakiri wrote:
> > Why <building, floor, room, rack, bin> is a tree?
>
> Buildings have multiple floors,

I see this from your table signature:
 <building, floor, ...

e.g.
building floor
-------- -----

1A15      1
1A15      2

> each having multiple rooms etc.

I see this as well:
 <building, floor, room,...

> Each of
> these entities may contain inventory items,

I fail to see how this is related to the <..., rack, bin>. Where are inventory items in your schema?

> and I want to be able to
> reference the inventory on any level, including (or not) the sublevels.
> For instance if the inventory referred to a manufacturing facilities,
> screws might be in bins, engine blocks on racks, body panels in rooms,
> etc. If you are dealing with car dealerships, the divisions might be the
> dealership, (branch (lots, buildings (rooms))).

So your dilemma is rigid schema with many tables vs. single but flexible hierarchy table, right? Received on Fri Feb 27 2004 - 01:59:57 CET

Original text of this message