Tree (forest) design

From: Robert Stearns <rstearns1241_at_charter.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 17:32:36 -0500

I am working on a design problem where I have many (possibly multinational) customers with tree structured administrative structures
(cust, nation, region, site, building for instance). At the leaf nodes
of the administrative tree, there is a tree organized location system
(building, floor, room, rack, bin for instance). Is it better practice
to have one taller tree (with each node marked as to its type,
administrative, location, or both) or a forest of separate trees, one for each administrative leaf? Which is easier to maintain? Note that any one customer may be lacking in any number of levels (except cust) when they are smaller operations, or wish to operate without the location detail. There must be the ability to coalesce nodes into one another, as well as to split a current node into two, moving part of the subtree of the old node to the new node at any level. Received on Thu Feb 26 2004 - 23:32:36 CET

Original text of this message