Re: Hospital ERD

From: D Guntermann <guntermann_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 17:40:09 GMT

No, I wasn't confused by Bob's message; or his opinion, rather. And of course I am not of the same opinion.

A diagram is merely a representation, and often serves to give the essence of what one wants to convey while trying to avoid distracting details.

Nonetheless, there is a tendency for individuals to confuse the concept of using a diagram to communicate or use as a point of reference with the concept of models and modeling, which is unfortunate.

"Louis Davidson" <dr_dontspamme_sql_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:HvSdnWAwotam87_d4p2dnA_at_comcast.com...
> Was anyone else confused by this message? Am I the only one who
consideres
> himself (or herself) a thinking person who uses a database diagram as a
way
> to visualize a database model? Not to mention that they do most of the
work
> of turning it from a model into a physical reality.

> -----------
> Louis Davidson (drsql_at_hotmail.com)
> Compass Technology Management
>
> Pro SQL Server 2000 Database Design
> http://www.apress.com/book/bookDisplay.html?bID=266
>
> Note: Please reply to the newsgroups only unless you are
> interested in consulting services. All other replies will be ignored :)
>
> "Bob Badour" <bbadour_at_golden.net> wrote in message
> > Thinking people typically do not rely on diagrams.
> >
> > "Portroe" <fb_at_oooi.com> wrote in message
> > > Charge Nurse, Medical Director, personnel officer, Doctor etc of
course
> > > all have differing functions, and differing interactions with the
other
> > > attributes
> > >
> > > the Charge nurse will have hundreds of connected records over a month,
> > > ie. medication ordered, The Medical director significantly less etc
> > >
> > > is there a source for Sample ERDs where I can see how people typically
> > > cope with multiple subclasses 'diagramatically' ?
> > >
> > > thanks

> > need
> > data

Staff,