Re: [help] main memory db

From: Joe \ <joe_at_bftsi0.UUCP>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 09:35:02 -0800

"Paul" <> wrote in message <>...

> "Joe \"Nuke Me Xemu\" Foster" <joe_at_bftsi0.UUCP> says...

> > Prevayler is not a DBMS but merely yet another object persistence
> > library. FastDB commits both the First and Second Great Blunders.

> Care to explain what you mean by "commits both the First and Second
> Great Blunders."?

The first is equating tables with classes. Tables are really variables!

The first leads to the second, attributes containing /pointers/.

> I think that in memory dbs will start to become very common in the near
> future.

Is there a reason an RDBMS intrinsically cannot work well in a virtual memory environment, perhaps using memory-mapped files, where memory is used as a cache? If everything fits into RAM, great! Otherwise, the performance degrades gracefully?

Joe Foster <>  "Regged" again? <>
WARNING: I cannot be held responsible for the above        They're   coming  to
because  my cats have  apparently  learned to type.        take me away, ha ha!