Re: Data Migration Methodologies -- FoxPro to Access

From: Koronis Rift <foo_at_bar.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 16:53:24 -0400

> The *new* system is using something as retro as Access *97*? Yikes.

Tell me about it. One of the first items on my agenda (project's been going on for a year, I only started 2 months ago) was looking into moving it to SQL server, MySQL, or something along those lines before we start to put live data into it.

> Well, you may be over-researching things, though as someone who's done
> several data migrations, I'd be interested in seeing these books, I'm
> not familiar with any of them.

Actually, they're white papers I've run across. There doesn't actually seem to be that much written down in the way of strategy/methodology for data migration. If you like I can post the URLs from whence they came.

> Here's a few of my own favorite tips and techniques:
[snip]
> Good luck!

Thanks for the tips -- this is the first data migration project I've been involved in, so I'm still learning by the "trial and error" method. Although I seem to do it best that way...

--
Koronis Rift
"Reply To" Address Will Not Work