Re: Data Migration Methodologies -- FoxPro to Access

From: Koronis Rift <foo_at_bar.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 16:47:24 -0400

> As far as theory goes, you'd better hope that your target database is
> (mostly) information equivalent to your source database. Then all you

Information is mostly the same, it's more a matter of mapping tables to tables and attributes to attributes. And tables to attributes, and attributes to tables, and and and...

> I'm sure the designers of the new database took this into account ...

Designers were mostly students doing work for class/credit (we're a nonprofit, so the bottom line is that $Work.Donated = $Work.Good). Data model for the new system is fairly clean, however... just a matter of making the old data fit into it.

> If not, normalise both data models, then shout loudly at the designers
> when you find that they have very little in common.

As above, beggars can't be choosers. Cleaning up the aftermath is my job. :)

Thanks for the input.

--
Koronis Rift
"Reply To" Address Will Not Work