Data Migration Methodologies -- FoxPro to Access

From: Koronis Rift <foo_at_bar.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 09:34:20 -0400

(Crossposted to: comp.databases.theory, microsoft.public.access.conversion)

Am just beginning to undertake a rather large[1] data migration/data conversion project, moving from an off-the-shelf customer information system to a custom-built one. Current system uses Visual FoxPro (appx. 230 tables), new system uses Access 97 (appx. 80 tables).

The Problem: New database was designed "from scratch", solely from the enterprise data model. The existing database schema was not evaluated at all for the purposes of migrating the legacy data to the new system. Thus, my question.

I am looking for the following:
1. General info on data migration methodology (comp.databases.theory) 2. Tips specific to FoxPro/Access regarding the mechanics of migration (microsoft.public.access.conversion)

What I have found already:
- "The Complete Data Migration Methodology", Joseph Hudicka

Any tips, links, articles, white papers, jokes, war stories, etc... would be greatly appreciated! (No need to crosspost replies, I'll track the thread in both newsgroups)

--
[1] Well, not huge databases -- but large in the sense that it's just myself
and a contractor working on the migration.

--
Koronis Rift
"Reply To" Address Will Not Work