Re: DB clasical structure violation

From: Stephan Eggermont <stephan_at_stack.nl>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 07:31:22 +0000 (UTC)

In comp.databases.olap Lee Fesperman <firstsql_at_ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> I'll ask you one question --- are you also researching the performance impact of the
> additional constraints required when you denormalize the database structures? Or, in
> changing the structure are you ignoring the effects on the integrity of your data? A
> database that can't be trusted is worthless.

With their exclusive focus on data (and ignoring behaviour) RDBMS's can't be trusted anyhow. For that you'd need an ODBMS.

> You'll find plenty of counter arguments to your theory on Database Debunkings
> (http://www.dbdebunk.com).

The arguments given there are not relevant for datawarehouse-like applications.

Stephan Eggermont
Sensus, systems that make sense Received on Tue Jun 25 2002 - 09:31:22 CEST

Original text of this message