Re: DB clasical structure violation

From: Lee Fesperman <firstsql_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 23:54:19 -0700

Mariano Abdala wrote:

> Hi! My name is Mariano Abdala. I'm a 3° year student of the Palermo
> University on Systems Analisys. I'm conducting a research on how the
> clasical structure of the databases, is not allways the better option in
> terms of performance.
> The research is going great, but I need some real cases of violation of
> the Normal Forms (and BCNF) in order to improve some [any] aspect of the
> Data Base, to support my theory. So I ask you please to help me on this. I
> would need some real databases STRUCTURES (no data) with this kind of
> violations and the reasons to implementing this.
> I would proudly name any helper in my research and any help you can give
> me, and of course, if you like me to, I would send its complete version once
> finished.

I'll ask you one question --- are you also researching the performance impact of the additional constraints required when you denormalize the database structures? Or, in changing the structure are you ignoring the effects on the integrity of your data? A database that can't be trusted is worthless.

You'll find plenty of counter arguments to your theory on Database Debunkings (http://www.dbdebunk.com).

--
Lee Fesperman, FirstSQL, Inc. (http://www.firstsql.com)
* The Ultimate DBMS is here!