Re: Object support in the relational model??

From: Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti Dutra <lgcdutra_at_terra.com.br>
Date: 12 Jun 2002 08:34:00 -0700

"Carl Rosenberger" <carl_at_db4o.com> wrote in message news:<ae76br$1u4$05$1_at_news.t-online.com>...

> Here is a list of features that some smart people have made up to describe
> the mandatory features of a "database":
>
> http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/People/clamen/OODBMS/Manifesto/htManifesto/node2.html
>
> We support all of them.

        This has been long refuted by The Third Manifesto.

        Just a small sampling: the chapter about types and classes is fuzzy, even if it kind of tries to avoid The First Great Blunder. But above all, the Object Identity chapter violates the Information Rule, and thus brings back upon us all of the network databases evils and curses by incurring in the Second Great Blunder.

> - allow accessing objects by ID

        That's The Second Great Blunder.

> I could bore you with other dozens of features but I would rather continue
> to call our product a database engine.

        By all means, then do so where no one will question you, namely news:comp.databases.object.

> Please, before you come up with further unqualified insults of the kind, you
> might first take a look at our product to know what you are talking about.

        Last time I tried to wade thru your website it was brochureware full of buzz, hype, marketspeak. You've been asked for examples already.

        To give you the benefit of rule, I've waded thru your tutorial. Again, navigation instead of declaration, only simple stuff given, no consideration to logical and user schemas. Please try better.

> > If you want to find out what exactly is a database management system
> > and why your product doesn't qualify as such, you need to go buy and
> > serious database book , instead of wasting the comp.database.*
> > discussions.
>
> If you read the late history of my postings, I was typically in the
> position to reply against rude attacks, accusing me of ignorance.
> ...just like yours.

        Never had the pleasure of seeing such a post. Just to give you the benefit of doubt, I did a quick search thru http://groups.google.com./groups?hl=pt&lr=&q=carl+rosenberger&btnG=Pesquisa+Google&meta=group%3Dcomp.databases.theory and found nothing as you claim, just more physical and logical levels confusion, ignorance of the relational model and more First and Second Great Blunders instances.

        Please try to convert me by giving nicer pointers than those I've been able to find.

> Personally I would prefer a more friendly tone here.

        Then please stop trolling, start real discussions.

> I don't think it is a very productive habit to start with insults when
> you don't have any other arguments.

        Sometimes an insult is a way of trying to show someone he's been irritating by refusing to learn, instead ignoring all information and arguments to be able to keep proclaiming his own correctness.

> ---
> Carl Rosenberger

        BTW, a signature is composed of a line break, two hyphens, a space, and a line break in that sequence.

--
 _
/ \ Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti Dutra        +41 (21) 216 15 93