Re: Object support in the relational model??

From: Carl Rosenberger <carl_at_db4o.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 12:09:37 +0200

Costin Cozianu wrote:
> Let me tell you gently why. Because you misrepresent your product to
> be a "database" or a database engine,

Here is a list of features that some smart people have made up to describe the mandatory features of a "database":

http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/People/clamen/OODBMS/Manifesto/htManifesto/node2.html

We support all of them.

> What you have is a persistence engine, therefore you should be posting
> on comp.lang.java where you might recommend your product to be a
> serious competitor for java.io.ObjectOutputStream

java.io.ObjectOutputStream does not:

- provide transactions to allow ACID modifications of persistent objects
- allow multi-user access
- allow querying the persistent objects
- allow a distinguished memory management, to instantiate and free any
part of the persistent object graph from memory
- allow accessing objects by ID
- allow class schema modification
- provide cascade-on-delete

I could bore you with other dozens of features but I would rather continue to call our product a database engine.

Please, before you come up with further unqualified insults of the kind, you might first take a look at our product to know what you are talking about.

> If you want to find out what exactly is a database management system
> and why your product doesn't qualify as such, you need to go buy and
> serious database book , instead of wasting the comp.database.*
> discussions.

If you read the late history of my postings, I was typically in the position to reply against rude attacks, accusing me of ignorance. ...just like yours.

Personally I would prefer a more friendly tone here. I don't think it is a very productive habit to start with insults when you don't have any other arguments.

Kind regards,
Carl

---
Carl Rosenberger