Re: What database am I running on AIX 4.2?

From: Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_erols.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 00:41:54 -0500

Ben Burnett wrote:

> I have inherited an application that was constructed around 20 years
> ago to run on an IBM RS6000 machine. The machine is running AIX 4.2.
> I'm trying to convert the application to be web based and have made a
> lot of progress with the new app. Unfortunately I need to be able to
> covert some of the data stored in the old system and import it to the
> new system. The application doesn't provide a handy exporting system,
> so I'm trying to get at the data by running queries on the underlying
> DB. My DB experience is currently limited to MySQL on Linux. I know
> the application isn't using a MySQL DB, but I don't know what it is
> using.
>
> Is there anyone out there who can offer me some assistance in
> identifying the DB that I'm dealing with? If anyone can help me
> identify database systems that were used to develop applications
> around 20 years ago on IBM RS6000 AIX machines I'd really appreciate
> it. Or if you can think of some user groups for DB theory or AIX in
> the Seattle area that would be helpful too. I'll be checking for
> follow-ups on the list for the next week but direct replies would be
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> - Ben

I can't provide an exhaustive list of RDBMS that run on older versions
of AIX (incidentally 4.2 came out sometime in 1995-1996) but have run
both Informix and Oracle on AIX.

When your database is running try doing a ps -ef and look at the output
for a database product name. Received on Tue Mar 12 2002 - 06:41:54 CET

Original text of this message