What database am I running on AIX 4.2?

From: Ben Burnett <benwa_at_ocentrix.com>
Date: 11 Mar 2002 12:00:17 -0800

I have inherited an application that was constructed around 20 years ago to run on an IBM RS6000 machine. The machine is running AIX 4.2. I'm trying to convert the application to be web based and have made a lot of progress with the new app. Unfortunately I need to be able to covert some of the data stored in the old system and import it to the new system. The application doesn't provide a handy exporting system, so I'm trying to get at the data by running queries on the underlying DB. My DB experience is currently limited to MySQL on Linux. I know the application isn't using a MySQL DB, but I don't know what it is using.

Is there anyone out there who can offer me some assistance in identifying the DB that I'm dealing with? If anyone can help me identify database systems that were used to develop applications around 20 years ago on IBM RS6000 AIX machines I'd really appreciate it. Or if you can think of some user groups for DB theory or AIX in the Seattle area that would be helpful too. I'll be checking for follow-ups on the list for the next week but direct replies would be appreciated.

Thanks,

  • Ben