Re: Complete axiomatization of relational algebra

From: Jan Hidders <hidders_at_REMOVE.THIS.win.tue.nl>
Date: 16 Feb 2001 23:50:01 GMT

Drieux...just Drieux wrote:
> Jan Hidders wrote:
> >
> > Does anybody know if there is a complete algebraic axiomatization of the
> > relational algebra (as used in relational database theory) or a proof
> > that such a thing is not possible?
>
> There have been papers published on this, of which I'm sure you're
> aware. You might want to have a look both at xxx.lanl.gov and at the
> Hypatia on-line library.

Well, to be really honest, I don't know of any papers that discuss this. I do know of some papers on the complexity of deciding equality (undecidable in general, NP complete if there is no difference operator) but none on completeness of axiomatization. So if you know of some please tell me.

> I've seen approaches to this topic, but the actual reduction to an
> axiomatic basis, if it was done, has eluded me.

Ok. Thank you for taking the trouble.

--
  Jan Hidders