Re: Complete axiomatization of relational algebra

From: Drieux...just Drieux <andrew_macian_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 10:23:41 -0800

Jan Hidders wrote:

> Does anybody know if there is a complete algebraic axiomatization of the
> relational algebra (as used in relational database theory) or a proof
> that such a thing is not possible?
>
> --
> Jan Hidders

There have been papers published on this, of which I'm sure you're aware. You might want to have a look both at xxx.lanl.gov and at the Hypatia on-line library.

I'll look through my own files; my research area is category theory, and I'm a practising consultant dealing with VLDB and VLDW problems. I've seen approaches to this topic, but the actual reduction to an axiomatic basis, if it was done, has eluded me.

Cheers,

Andrew

--
'Each game of chess means there's one less
   Variation left to be played;