Re: OO fans bashing Joins

From: Joe \ <joe_at_bftsi0.UUCP>
Date: 2000/03/16

"topmind" <topmindNOtoSPAM_at_technologist.com.invalid> wrote in message news:0110ea04.187c7858_at_usw-ex0104-031.remarq.com...

> >> You're not listening. I said it was people thing rather than
> a technological thing. <<

> So you are admitting that procedural/relational programming can
> be just a reuse friendly as OO?

If it was designed with reuse in mind, sure. OO may make it easier, just as it often helps make larger projects more manageable.

> >> Oh, but those are the ones are coming from the decidedly
> wrong paradigm of procedural programming. It's harder to play
> the song correctly if you've first learned to play it
> incorrectly or have picked up bad habits. :) <<

> Yeah, whatever. OO is an annoying fad the belongs only in
> specific niches. All those stupid animal and shape examples do
> not translate into real world benefits, they only sell the crap
> to naive PHB's who like a good story.

The bank account example strikes me as being useful and relevant. Each type of bank account inherits from a generic bank account type, and methods can be overridden depending on how each type of account, say, generates interest, finance charges, etc. etc.

--
Joe Foster <mailto:jfoster_at_ricochet.net>  Space Cooties! <http://www.xenu.net/>
WARNING: I cannot be held responsible for the above        They're   coming  to