Re: OO fans bashing Joins

From: topmind <topmindNOtoSPAM_at_technologist.com.invalid>
Date: 2000/03/17

In article <sd3g1n909n44_at_corp.supernews.com>, "Joe \"Nuke Me Xemu\" Foster" <joe_at_bftsi0.UUCP> wrote:
>"topmind" <topmindNOtoSPAM_at_technologist.com.invalid> wrote in
 message news:0110ea04.187c7858_at_usw-ex0104-031.remarq.com...

>> a technological thing. <<

>> So you are admitting that procedural/relational programming
 can
>> be just a reuse friendly as OO?
>
>If it was designed with reuse in mind, sure. OO may make it
 easier, just as
>it often helps make larger projects more manageable.

What about small and medium projects? Should app builders for them be burdened by constructs meant for mostly larger projects?

>> wrong paradigm of procedural programming. It's harder to play
>> the song correctly if you've first learned to play it
>> incorrectly or have picked up bad habits. :) <<

>> Yeah, whatever. OO is an annoying fad the belongs only in
>> specific niches. All those stupid animal and shape examples do
>> not translate into real world benefits, they only sell the
 crap
>> to naive PHB's who like a good story.
>
>The bank account example strikes me as being useful and
 relevant. Each type
>of bank account inherits from a generic bank account type, and
 methods can
>be overridden depending on how each type of account, say,
 generates interest,
>finance charges, etc. etc.

Boy, did you pick the wrong example!

Please see:
http://www.geocities.com/tablizer/bank.htm

Here is a quote from it:

"In the middle of Andrew's example it suddenly occurred to me that I once had a bank account that had both checks and interest! ...This issue highlights a typical problem with inheritance. Changes and variations rarely follow a hierarchical pattern in the real world. Both marketing and management would much rather view the customer banking plans as combinations of features rather than a hierarchy. "

-tmind-

<http://www.xenu.net/>

  • Sent from RemarQ http://www.remarq.com The Internet's Discussion Network * The fastest and easiest way to search and participate in Usenet - Free!