Re: listener connection time out question

From: Kendall <kendallwillets_at_yahooooooo.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2002 23:42:56 -0800

In article <VwTb8.2380$Bw4.1531917_at_news1.telusplanet.net>, "Henry" <hxzhang_at_binary-solutions.net> wrote:

> This is very wierd to me but I don't know if it has something to do with
> Personal Edition of Oracle 8i, installed on Mandrake 2.4.8.
>
> I started server by "lsnrctl start". then everything is ok. I tried jdbc
> thin connection from outside LAN, and it works fine. However, I must
> keep that jdbc program running. If i stopped that jdbc program for a
> little while, the network connection will fail.

What is the program doing over the connection when it's running? Is it idle? Any traffic?

> java.sql.SQLException: Io exception: The Network Adapter could not
> establish the
> connection at
> oracle.jdbc.dbaccess.DBError.throwSqlException(DBError.java:168)
>
> I checked the listener log, everything is OK, except that the client
> side get the above message. When I am trying jdbc connection from
> inside LAN, I never have that problem. does anybody know why?

OK means...no inbound connection request at all?

Can you tnsping the server from the client?

Can you telnet to server port 1521 (or whatever) from the client? The listener will kill the socket after a few lines of nonsense, but you just want to see if it opens the socket. I suppose you could telnet to any other port on the server if you suspect firewall problems.

Are your OCI libs linked correctly on the client? If not, the first disconnect will unload the shared library, at least it used to.

There's a lot of low-level TCP and IP checking you can do.

Try: # netstat -s | head
and read your packets received count, or watch your NIC led when the incoming request is expected (on an idle machine). Received on Mon Feb 18 2002 - 08:42:56 CET

Original text of this message