Re: Oracle, NT and norwegian characters

From: RG <ronny.jobb_at_c2i.net>
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2001 12:55:21 GMT

Frank van Bortel wrote:

> Most web servers do not know "special" characters, like æ,ø and å. These
> have to be "translated"; you can find an example in almost any HTML
> tutorial;
> here's one: http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Guide/Advanced.html. ø should be
> presented
> to the browser as &oslash; (or &#248; ), similar for æ: &aelig; and å:
> &aring;
> Note that the ';' above belong to the code.
> You can do these translations in a packaged procedure; check out the owa
> packages
> in the database (not installed by default...)

Thank you for your reply!
Your answer gave me some new ideas to solve some of my other questions I had. Thank you for that!
Unfortunately it didn't solve my original problem. If I convert the characters like you suggests the data in the table will consist of a bunch of &oslash;'es and &aring;'s which the receiver of these data won't understand. Therefore I must have an æ, ø or an å in the database table (which now consists of ?'s where these characters should have been). You mention something about the owa packages. What is this? I'm just an Oracle newbe and don't know much about installing packages and the likes so I would appreciate more information about how the owa pkg works and how to eventually install it.

Of course, with my limited knowledge any help is good help :) So if anyone might have other suggestions about how to solve my problem, I will listen carefully.

Regards
Ronny G Received on Wed Jul 04 2001 - 14:55:21 CEST

Original text of this message